Tuesday, January 18, 2011

#18 - Eggcellent!

We have not gotten any eggs from our hens in a long time. :o(
But today, Brian came in after feeding them with 3 beautiful brown eggs in his hands!!!

A few weeks ago he put some golf balls in the nesting boxes to try and trick them into laying......and it worked! You don't know how badly it has pained me to pay $1.75 for a dozen of eggs at the store! And to think about 5 years ago I wouldn't even touch a brown egg. Now I long for them. :)

Our hens are fairly young and they usually don't lay until they are older. It's also hard to get them to lay in the winter months. Last spring we started out with two hens and a rooster. In school we incubated 3 chicks and then one of our hens set more chicks and now we've got a total of 8 hens and 3 roosters.
Anna took today's picture for me and I think she did an eggcellent job! (Sorry...couldn't resist:)

Psalm 8:9
"O LORD, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth!"

1 comment:

Jacquie Wallace said...

We get most all of our eggs from Ms. Charlsie's 82 year old brother. I hate buying eggs now.

The first thing I thought when I opened this post was that I loved the photo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails