Monday, August 2, 2010

Panama Day 7 & 8 (Grand Finale:)

Here is the last post about Panama! Considering I took over 2500 pictures, it is amazing that it only took me 6 posts to get all the info on here!
Tuesday was suppose to be our free day to do the tourist stuff! We woke up at 5:00 a.m. so that we could see the sun rise on the Pacific Ocean. And it was simply amazing!

This is from the other side from the sunrise. These fishermen were going out to check their traps and for a day of fishing.

A sign by the beach.

We ate breakfast at the beach house and left around 9:00 a.m. to start our adventure back into the city.
We stopped by Garcia's Ceramics that did one of a kind pottery.
Bethany had Brian get a plate down from a high wall outside and she had a little surprise on the edge of the plate that ended up leaping onto her arm!

I brought this little beauty home with me.

Where they did all of pot throwin'!

We stopped at a restaurant that sold cheese empanadas (yum!) and here was the signs over the restrooms.

Hehe! Too funny!
On our way into the city we drove up the side of a mountain to see these views of the Pacific.

Pretty flowers!

These children were having school and stopped to say "hola" to us!

The Bridge of the Americas - connecting North and South America over the Panama Canal.

By the time we got into the city it was time for lunch. We ate at Mi Ranchito Restaurante' located out on the causeway.
Once again I had Camarones Apanados and it was honestly the best shrimp I think I have ever tasted! So fresh!

Brian had a Corvina fillet. It was pretty tasty too!

View from the restaurant.

"I've got a lovely bunch of cocunuts......there they are standing in a row......big ones small ones some as big as your head!"
After Lion King I can't hardly look at a cocunut and not sing that song!

Views of Panama City from the causeway.

Another view of the Bridge of the Americas.
Next stop was touring the Panama Canal Miraflores Locks.

Our crew heading inside.

My ticket.

They had viewing decks so you could watch the huge ships come through the locks.

It doesn't look that big from here, but trust me this ship was HUGE!

A ship that had just come through.

The system of the locks and how they work is really interesting.

The announcer that was giving the play by play was cracking us all up. He would say things like, "Get your camera's ready and make sure you have plenty of space on your memory cards with a full battery, this is the moment you've been waiting your whole lives for!" Only imagine hearing that with a Panamanian accent.

They have these trolley tug boats that are on tracks to keep the ships from bumping into the side of the locks. It looks like the ship is not going to clear the sides, but on average there is 5-6 feet of space on each side. But still, that's close!

They are in the process of building some more locks that can hold even bigger ships. They charge so much money per container on each vessel. I can't really remember the exact amount on the ship that we watched go through, but I think it was around $500,000! But it saves so much money by not having to go around South America. I can't imagine!

After seeing the locks we went to a type of souvenir shop with a ton of booths to buy some gifts. This sloth was hanging in a mango tree outside. It was pretty neat to see.

The sign in front of the store.

Panama's flag flying above the city!

That evening to kill some time so we didn't have to drive through the city's traffic during rush hour to get to our hotel, we stopped by the mall to have dinner. This mall was very colorful and extremely big! I wish I had taken some inside pics, but I didn't want to have my bag checked when and if I entered any stores. Turns out Brian and I went into one store, paid a quarter to use the restroom, and then went to find the food court! The restrooms by the food court were free, but we didn't know that at the time. That mall was quite the experience of it's own!
After we left the mall we drove across town to check into the hotel. We would board the shuttle bus at 5:00 a.m. the next morning for our 8:00 a.m. flight home!

Kentucky bound!!!
We were greeted by our girls at the bottom of the escalator at Bluegrass Airport and it was a very good sight to see! We had a wonderful experience and would go back in a heart second. God revealed some amazing things to me while we were down there. With being back into the groove of every day life in America I just pray that I will never forget the little things that I take for granted and that people are dying every second that don't know Jesus.

If you ever get a chance to go on a mission trip whether it be domestically or internationally and feel like God is calling advice is to GO!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails