Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Show Us Your Life - Main Course Meal - Taquitos


This week for Kelly's Korner ~ Show Us Your Life she is posting main course meals. I can't wait to see some new ideas!

We LOVE mexican food and of course when I run out of ideas for dinner this is what we usually fall back on:


Chicken Taquitos - So easy, but soooo good :P



Chicken Taquitos
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 pkg. chicken taco seasoning, 1 small can of enchilada sauce, or 1/2 cup salsa
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped onions (optional)
Green peppers (optional)
10 Small flour tortillas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water

*Cook chicken breasts in a skillet with about 2 tablespoons olive oil and when they are almost done cut them up in the skillet with a spatula or remove them to shred them - your choice.

*When your chicken is almost done you can also add onions or peppers and cook them until they are as done as you like.

*Add either the seasoning with 3 tablespoons water, the enchilada sauce, or salsa and then bring to a boil. I sometimes use all three :)

*Place a small strip of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla and then add the shredded cheese on top (add as much as you'd like:).

*Roll them as tight as you can and lay them on a cookie sheet side by side.

*Once they are all lined up lightly brush some vegetable oil on the tops of the rolled up tortillas. This will make them crispy!

*Bake them for about 10-15 minutes on 350'. You can also broil them for about 2-3 minutes if they are not crisp enough after baking. You can dip them in sour cream or salsa and enjoy!

For the past year or so I have been making my own salsa. We prefer our salsa to be smooth and not very chunky, so I use my food chopper to smooth it out a bit :)

Here are the main ingredients that I use:
1 can Rotel
1 can diced canned tomatoes
½ chopped onion (yellow, white, or red)
½ tsp Garlic powder or salt (which ever I have on hand)
2 tbs Fresh or 1 tbs Dried Cilantro (I get this at our local health food store)
½ tsp Cumin (I only recently added this after seeing Kelly’s salsa recipe from Chili’s and it truly does makes the difference:)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
A pinch of sugar

I either use my food chopper or a blender to finely mix all of these ingredients. Of course I usually double this recipe and sometimes triple depending on how hungry we are :)


We get so full on the salsa and chips that I hardly ever serve these taquitos with anything else!


Yum. Yum. Yum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails